1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can it be left out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PotterWatch, Sep 29, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My RIR laid her first egg yesterday. I didn't notice it when I let the girls out at around 11 though it could easily have been there and I just didn't see it. I went out at around 1:30 and saw it in the corner of the coop. It was laying in full sun and it was pretty hot out (low 90s). Is it still safe to eat or should I wait and eat the next one?

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Yes, it should be fine as long as you're sure it was laid that day .

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I would say it should be fine. Offen we don't get our eggs till after I get off work. Sometimes they are in the sun. Sometimes there is a chicken who decides to be broody. (this also keeps the egg very warm) and the eggs are always fine, we have never had a problem yet.
    I say enjoy your first egg!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

agreed! if it had been there for more than a few days, I'd be a little more worried, but you should be fine.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks! Guess I will fry it up for breakfast tomorrow!

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Over easy with buttered toast, and a large glass of whole milk is a REALLY good breakfast! LOL I eat 4 eggs and 3 pieces of toast this way almost daily!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by