How Long Can Sick Hen go w/o Water?

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
My little girl is sick (I think Mareks) and doesn't want to eat or drink anymore. I was syringe feeding her but now she's even fighting me with that. I've decided to stop force feeding her, her food and water are right next to her head where she can get them, i dip her beak into them, but she just doesn't want to eat. This is day 2 now, realistically how much longer does she have? IDK if i'm making the right decision or not, but if she truly doesn't want to eat/drink/live any longer than I don't want to force her to and keep her alive being miserable...

My little girl is sick (I think Mareks) and doesn't want to eat or drink anymore. I was syringe feeding her but now she's even fighting me with that. I've decided to stop force feeding her, her food and water are right next to her head where she can get them, i dip her beak into them, but she just doesn't want to eat. This is day 2 now, realistically how much longer does she have? IDK if i'm making the right decision or not, but if she truly doesn't want to eat/drink/live any longer than I don't want to force her to and keep her alive being miserable...
I would try giving her sugar water (1 table spoon of sugar to 100 mls of boiling water left to cool) and syringe it into her mouth bit by bit allowing her to swallow. I do this with ill hens and its works it gives them a energy burst and gets them up eaitng and drinking abit...

Back
Top Bottom