How Long Can They Be In THe Incubator?

sunnychooks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 21, 2007
NJ
Mu first hatch of Coturnix Quail have just arrived! Am I correct in assuming that they, like chickens, can stay in the incubator up to 48 hours? I don't want to open the bator and lose the rest of the hatch.

They can stay in the incubator for 48 hours, I usually take mine out after a few hours when they are dry, but they don't need to eat or drink for 72 hours.

48 hours is correct
smile.png
Usually they all hatch like popcorn so you won't need to leave them in the incubator for that long.

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I thought I had everything figured out until they hit the ground! I was amazed at the small size and it occured to me that they may not be managed the same as chickens!

Quote:
72 hrs is a stretch. They need to eat and drink much soonner than chicks, that's why most hatcheries do not ship them. I do nor believe coturnix chicks will last 72 hrs without water and food, they are not chickens and due to their small size and heat in the brooder they will dehydrate fast.

I take mine out of the bator as soon as they dry out and teach the first ones how to drink, the rest usually follows.

Quote:
Do you have a problem with opening the incubator before all the eggs hatch? My concern is the sudden drop in temp and humidity for the ones that have not hatched or have pipped.

Obviously I do not open my bator to take out any single chick as they dry, I may not expressed myself clearly, I am trying to take them after they dry out in no more than a few hrs in groups of whatever is ready.
I do not know about your incubator, but mine homemade one and my Brinsea ECO 20 both come back with temp and humidity in a few minutes.

Temperature at hatching stage is not that important, could be lower few degrees, no big deal. Humidity is most crucial for hatching.

No way I leave them (coturnix) in there more than 24 hours. They need to begin to eat and drink. A chick that is 30 hours older than its nest mates might begin picking at them when it gets hungry. If you open the incubator once in 24 hours, I think you'll be fine. They are living off their yolk sac and their digestive system is functional. They may soil the incubator. That's just my experience, others may have different opinions.

i make it my personal goal to always remove all hatched and DRIED newly hatched chicks of any type of fowl at approx. 24 hours after i see or hear the first one hatched. then i remove them the same time the next day and so on until all that will, have hatched. any wet ones stay in for another 24 hours. i've noticed that newly hatched chicks still wet, removed from the hatcher to early, and placed in a brooder have a tendency for thier feet to not straighten all the way or become weak and chilled easier.

Back
Top Bottom