1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can they go without laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    We've got a young EE,9 months old, and she hasn't laid an egg since October. Is that normal? The others have picked up their egglaying since molting, but Flicka hasn't. Is there anything we can do?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    This time of year, some birds just stop laying. Waffle, my first EE, was never a great layer, and in the winter, she stopped all together. Sometimes, their systems just need a break.

3. Shark Akhrrana

Shark Akhrrana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    I think it's normal. None of my hens is laying right now. It's just to cold. They normally take a break during the winter.

4. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Typically unless you are doing something special to keep them laying, most hens will stop when the weather gets colder and the days get shorter. I found its more of a daylight hours thing. You can add a light to the COOP that turns on 2 hours before dawn and you might be able to get them to lay normally, but I agree I think sometimes they needs a break.

5. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    My little EE named Triscuit (I have 1 EE and 1 Lavender Ameraucana) went into molt in August of last year and has not resumed laying yet. Most of my other chickens are laying at the moment except for my Lav and this mutt blue I have. I'm finding them to be less than decent layers and come spring time anyone that is not laying will be culled to freezer camp.

6. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We have had EEs that layed like clockwork and some that are disasters at egglaying. Not every hen lays well, especially breeds that are not bred specifically to be egglaying machines. That is just a fact of nature. In the real world of wildlife, those that don't procreate efficiently would soon be bred out of the species.
    With our small flock, when I incubate I definitely choose the better layers and never the bad ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by