How long can they go without laying?

jimz1

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Coleman, Wi
We've got a young EE,9 months old, and she hasn't laid an egg since October. Is that normal? The others have picked up their egglaying since molting, but Flicka hasn't. Is there anything we can do?

This time of year, some birds just stop laying. Waffle, my first EE, was never a great layer, and in the winter, she stopped all together. Sometimes, their systems just need a break.

Typically unless you are doing something special to keep them laying, most hens will stop when the weather gets colder and the days get shorter. I found its more of a daylight hours thing. You can add a light to the COOP that turns on 2 hours before dawn and you might be able to get them to lay normally, but I agree I think sometimes they needs a break.

We've got a young EE,9 months old, and she hasn't laid an egg since October. Is that normal? The others have picked up their egglaying since molting, but Flicka hasn't. Is there anything we can do?

My little EE named Triscuit (I have 1 EE and 1 Lavender Ameraucana) went into molt in August of last year and has not resumed laying yet. Most of my other chickens are laying at the moment except for my Lav and this mutt blue I have. I'm finding them to be less than decent layers and come spring time anyone that is not laying will be culled to freezer camp.

We have had EEs that layed like clockwork and some that are disasters at egglaying. Not every hen lays well, especially breeds that are not bred specifically to be egglaying machines. That is just a fact of nature. In the real world of wildlife, those that don't procreate efficiently would soon be bred out of the species.
With our small flock, when I incubate I definitely choose the better layers and never the bad ones.

Back
Top Bottom