how long can you leave eggs out unrefrigerated?

Years ago, my mom used to store cartons of eggs in a dark corner of our living room. I recall she said they'd keep for up to 6 months that way. We never, ever had a bad egg.

The day I put them in cold water and they float is they day I left them on the counter too long.

Fresh eggs sink to the bottom. Eggs starting to go bad will sit upright. Bad eggs float..

We never put eggs in the fridge. I leave them sat on counter top in room that's never above 70, We have only tossed a few that was over a month old. We hatch a lot of these, and eat the rest, or cook em up for the dogs. But never lost more than an egg or two.

If in doubt, I do the float test.

I love the idea of not having to refrigerate eggs!

I do have one technical question though. With it being winter, my eggs are very cold when I bring them in after work. Can they then be left out to "warm up" and still be safe to sit on the counter for several weeks at room temp? I just wasn't sure if having them cool down and then warm up again does anything to them? Would love the opinion/experiences from other "northerners".

Fass

I love the idea of not having to refrigerate eggs!

I do have one technical question though. With it being winter, my eggs are very cold when I bring them in after work. Can they then be left out to "warm up" and still be safe to sit on the counter for several weeks at room temp? I just wasn't sure if having them cool down and then warm up again does anything to them? Would love the opinion/experiences from other "northerners".

Fass
This is exactly what I do and never have problems. Eggs last weeks on the counter, despite the temp change.

I have kept unwashed eggs that have not had the film removed, for eight weeks under cover below our normal day temp.of 32 degreesc without spoilage.

I've left unwashed eggs on the counter for up to a month with no problems and have a friend who says that he has eaten eggs that sat out for 2 months. Depends on room temperature and when they were laid regarding how long they will keep. If you keep your house real warm, they may not last as long. I keep mine around 68 degrees.

I hate to say it but unwashed mine have sat out up to two months with no problem..my house is cool.. 60s and no sun or warmth on them.. the only problem I have found is they start to dehydrate. the inside is fine but the membrane is tough to break through and if I see the yolk looks dry I throw them out. they have not spoiled as you would think.. they smell and taste fine

I'm so happy to hear I can leave my eggs out on the counter. They make a nice decoration in my country kitchen too!

Back
Top Bottom