How long can you leave your flock alone?

Do you leave your chickens alone for days at a time?

• OMG you should go to prison for neglect!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
In the summer we are bit better equipped for a few days away as we have a larger water set up and can put out more food. In the winter, we just have a heated dog bowl in the run of each coop and it needs to be filled each day.

We went on vacation and had our niece come and check all of our animals each day. She got a kick out of feeding the chickens and collecting the eggs.

I never have, but I always have a petsitter for the cat and dog and doves anyway. I suppose I could leave them overnight, if needed, if we took the dog with us, but that's the longest I would consider leaving mine. My small coop's poop tray needs to be scooped daily, 2 days at the absolute most. If I had to evacuate, all the animals including the hens would go with us. I only have 3 at the moment though.

I built our set up so we can leave for long weekends, and even longer without worrying about my 9 girls. I try to spoil them and take great care of them, but they do not need my attention every day. Their water fills with a float valve, and they have large PVC feeders, so they probably would be fine for about 4 weeks without me and I would feel comfortable leaving them without anyone checking on them for 7-10 days, other than me spying on the camera I have in their run.

But if I don't collect eggs at least every 2 days, guaranteed one of my orpingtons, Michelangelo, will go broody so try not to leave them for much longer than that.

Back
Top Bottom