How long did it take your girls to lay after fowl pox?

cbookout

Songster
6 Years
May 22, 2015
North Texas
Want to start a thread to give hen owners an idea of how long it takes for chickens to recover completely enough to start laying again.

I got my first egg today after a severe wet pox outbreak (I lost 2 of my sweetest girls). It has been about 3 weeks since they all seemed recovered. I wasn't sure they'd ever lay again after how sick some of there were.

On a side note, can I still vaccinate for fowl pox even after my chickens have had it?

Want to start a thread to give hen owners an idea of how long it takes for chickens to recover completely enough to start laying again.

I got my first egg today after a severe wet pox outbreak (I lost 2 of my sweetest girls). It has been about 3 weeks since they all seemed recovered. I wasn't sure they'd ever lay again after how sick some of there were.

On a side note, can I still vaccinate for fowl pox even after my chickens have had it?
Generally once they have had Pox, they build immunity.
Vaccine should be given well before they begin production. Since yours are already laying, it probably wouldn't be advisable to vaccinate, but it won't hurt to consult your vet.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/63/fowl-pox-pox-avian-pox/

Thanks Wyorp Rock. This is actually the second time my hens have had fowl pox. The mosquitoes are awful in late summer here in North Texas. I screened in my coop completely after last year's outbreak but they all got it again this year. I was really hoping to be able to vaccinate them even though they've already had it twice. It's horrible to watch chickens suffer through wet fowl pox.

It's December mine molted and got dry fowl pox same time some continued to lay the blue and green egg layers have not laid in a month looks like the virus is gone I lost 3 babies that hatched during pox they got it was very sad one lived I give them med.in water Italian seasoning in food gave them garlic they are well but no eggs how long do u think for eggs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom