How long did it take your new flock and established flock to mix?

lilmama

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Gosh, I'm really such an avid poster here lately! But where else can I get such sound advice?!
tongue.png

So, I have two new pullets (12 wks old) and an established flock of three hens (6 months). Right now I am keeping the groups separate. I let an established hen in with them to see what would happen, and it was not too friendly. I can't imagine how brutal it would be letting my two HUGE barred rocks in with the pullets too.

Am I going to have to separate the flocks forever? Or just until the pullets get bigger? What worked for you in a similar situation??

Thanks!

Last edited:
I introduced a new roo and 2 new hens at the same time to my existing flock.

I made sure they were in pens next to each other for a long time so they could get used to each other.

Finally started putting the new ones in the big coop at night with the others.

There have been some scuffles, especially with the roo, but overall things are going well.

The whole process has taken a few months and there are still about 2 pullets left that beat up on the roo. But overall everyone is real happy now.
smile.png

i added and took away a big bunch of girls in a week, and they were all settled a about a week to a week and a half after that, but they were only 14 weekers.

I have 5 -18month old hens and wanted to add 2 -16week old pullets. I did the quarantine for 35days. Then I moved the 2 new girls into a cage inside the coop at night, each morning I herded them into the small area in the run that I divided off just for them. This way they could see/hear/ be near the big girls. They spent 2 weeks -separated.. Then I let them free range together for 2 weeks... Then blocked the cage off one night so they had to sleep on top of it..I let them sleep on top of the cage for a week and now I am moving them to the roost each night.. There hasn't been any real fighting only the bossy hen running them away from her food...

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it really wasn't and it made me feel better to make sure they were safe..

In about 6 weeks I will be doing the same thing w/ all my Ameraucana pullets... Hoping to have everyone together before the really cold weather hits.

House them where they can see each other but can't get at each other for a few weeks, then remove the barrier. I've found, however, that it is easier to blend a big group of newbies with a smaller established group of adults, however, as the new birds can avoid being picked on due to sheer numbers. Small groups are tougher--you may have to have a "safe" area for them to retreat to.

Back
Top Bottom