How long did your ducks lay for?

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
My duckies will be 4 this spring. They are already slacking on sending out their first eggs for the year. I'm wondering in all of y'all experience do your ducks stop laying either completely or at a rate of 1-2 a week or less?

I have no intention of getting rid of them because they are not laying as they are first and foremost my pets but I HAVE grown accustomed to their eggs and have begun to consider when would be the best time to add a few more ladies to my flock.
(Also if you have adorable pics please send)

Mine are 2 years and under so I can’t say much but
@DuckyDonna @Miss Lydia have girls older they can comment on that
but never pass up a chance to show off my crew
Well some of them
I have 16 so not all are in the picture
Ignore my messy patio it’s all ice with our great canadian winters :)

Attachments

• 6FFBB03C-537B-4E24-B1D8-85D208B5B612.png
    6FFBB03C-537B-4E24-B1D8-85D208B5B612.png
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • D7E3498B-B256-4992-A37B-76731893FBD5.png
    D7E3498B-B256-4992-A37B-76731893FBD5.png
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 8E74748A-FC5E-44FA-ADA4-18E0C13292A9.png
    8E74748A-FC5E-44FA-ADA4-18E0C13292A9.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Mine are 6 going to be 7 end of April [Runners and Buffs] and 2 that are 3 Runners none have laid since last Oct 22. The only duck eggs I am getting is from my 11 yr old Muscovy. Last year they started back laying around this time of year so we'll see. I really don't care if they don't lay they are pets first. AND I have chicken hens that have started back so at least I have eggs.

Mine are 2 years and under so I can’t say much but
@DuckyDonna @Miss Lydia have girls older they can comment on that
but never pass up a chance to show off my crew
Well some of them
I have 16 so not all are in the picture
Ignore my messy patio it’s all ice with our great canadian winters :)
So cute! Looks like they are QUITE used to getting treats! Mine come running anytime the patio door opens... Or if my partner is around as he gives does the spoiling without any of the care haha

Mine are 6 going to be 7 end of April [Runners and Buffs] and 2 that are 3 Runners none have laid since last Oct 22. The only duck eggs I am getting is from my 11 yr old Muscovy. Last year they started back laying around this time of year so we'll see. I really don't care if they don't lay they are pets first. AND I have chicken hens that have started back so at least I have eggs.
It is comforting to know that eventually they will completely stop laying. One of my roens has been having laying issues (I give her calcium supplements on the regular plus egg shells and layer feed). I know as they get older they have a harder time of it.
I've thought about getting scovies but I'm mildly terrified of geese and they are essentially half goose lol

My duckies will be 4 this spring. They are already slacking on sending out their first eggs for the year. I'm wondering in all of y'all experience do your ducks stop laying either completely or at a rate of 1-2 a week or less?

I have no intention of getting rid of them because they are not laying as they are first and foremost my pets but I HAVE grown accustomed to their eggs and have begun to consider when would be the best time to add a few more ladies to my flock.
(Also if you have adorable pics please send)
I have a pekin that just turned 4 and I have yet to get an egg from her this year either. The last 2 summers she’s gone broody and wouldn’t start laying again until the next spring. I still got my fingers crossed that she’s gonna start laying again any day now! But if not no big deal, she’s very well loved around here and will earn her keep off her good looks & charm 🤣

My oldest girl is Kwackers (Khaki) and she turned 7 yrs old this week. My next two are both 4 yrs old (crested silver Swedish and a Khaki-Welsh mix). My youngest girl (Swedish-Khaki mix) is almost a year old. I am currently getting three eggs a day. I assume Kwackers, my oldest, is the one not laying but I am not positive about that. Anyway, yes as they have gotten older they have taken more winter time off. They also seem to miss a day more often or take a week or two off here or there. Adding one or two new ducklings every third year has kept my family in eggs.
Since you asked for pictures . . .
This is from last summer before they molted.
IMG_0919.jpg

More recent:
IMG_1661 2.jpg

My oldest girl is Kwackers (Khaki) and she turned 7 yrs old this week. My next two are both 4 yrs old (crested silver Swedish and a Khaki-Welsh mix). My youngest girl (Swedish-Khaki mix) is almost a year old. I am currently getting three eggs a day. I assume Kwackers, my oldest, is the one not laying but I am not positive about that. Anyway, yes as they have gotten older they have taken more winter time off. They also seem to miss a day more often or take a week or two off here or there. Adding one or two new ducklings every third year has kept my family in eggs.
Since you asked for pictures . . .
This is from last summer before they molted.
View attachment 3436874
More recent:
View attachment 3436890
Your crested is sooo cute!!!!

Back
Top Bottom