1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do Chicken lay eggs for ? how many years?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandrameissnest, Feb 18, 2012.

1. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    hi,
    i was wondering until what age they can lay eggs?
    i have 2 road island reds...
    1 barred rock
    1 austrolorp
    1 white chicken dont know what she is
    and one mixed brown white.
    i dont have eggs wet.. 2 of them are now 4 month old
    and the others just 4 weeks
    and what am I doing after they cant lay eggs anymore? any ideas? i cant kill them :(
    thanks for your help
    sandra

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    They really all have their own egg clock. Generally 4 - 6 months to start laying. I have heard complaints of some taking.g 8 months to get started. Generally production breeds are done in 3 years. I have 2 Rhodes Islands one quit laying after 2 yrs while the other is still kicking them out after three.

3. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    thanks for the info :)
    what do you do with your chicken after they done laying eggs ?

4. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    Hi I just joined![​IMG]

Anyways, I have only 12 chickens but in groups of different ages. I have a group of 5yr old which consists of: 2 Americana(sp?) 2 Barred Rocks and one Road Island Red. Both BR's are still laying, RIR just finnished her moult and began laying with in the last week or so and one of the A's are still laying while the other is not.

As far as what to do with the girls when they do stop if you don't want to kill them and eat them (that is what we will do) Put them on your local craigslist either for free or a low fee. They would make someone a great meal!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Welcome to the BYC to all you new guys

I just asked that myself bc some say 3 years some say also 5 years so it seams like the is a big swing and breed, region, what you feed them and what foods they get all differ

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Here in the Pacific NW my buff orpingtons and barred rocks laid well for almost 3 years. With 5 hens the egg count got down to 1-2 eggs a day, sometimes none. I gave mine away and replaced with 4 new hens. 2 of the 4 just started laying so by spring I should have everyone in full production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by