How long do Chicken lay eggs for ? how many years?

sandrameissnest

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
hi,
i was wondering until what age they can lay eggs?
i have 2 road island reds...
1 barred rock
1 austrolorp
1 white chicken dont know what she is
and one mixed brown white.
i dont have eggs wet.. 2 of them are now 4 month old
and the others just 4 weeks
and what am I doing after they cant lay eggs anymore? any ideas? i cant kill them :(
thanks for your help
sandra

They really all have their own egg clock. Generally 4 - 6 months to start laying. I have heard complaints of some taking.g 8 months to get started. Generally production breeds are done in 3 years. I have 2 Rhodes Islands one quit laying after 2 yrs while the other is still kicking them out after three.

Hi I just joined!
frow.gif

Anyways, I have only 12 chickens but in groups of different ages. I have a group of 5yr old which consists of: 2 Americana(sp?) 2 Barred Rocks and one Road Island Red. Both BR's are still laying, RIR just finnished her moult and began laying with in the last week or so and one of the A's are still laying while the other is not.

As far as what to do with the girls when they do stop if you don't want to kill them and eat them (that is what we will do) Put them on your local craigslist either for free or a low fee. They would make someone a great meal!

Welcome to the BYC to all you new guys

I just asked that myself bc some say 3 years some say also 5 years so it seams like the is a big swing and breed, region, what you feed them and what foods they get all differ

Here in the Pacific NW my buff orpingtons and barred rocks laid well for almost 3 years. With 5 hens the egg count got down to 1-2 eggs a day, sometimes none. I gave mine away and replaced with 4 new hens. 2 of the 4 just started laying so by spring I should have everyone in full production.

Back
Top Bottom