Sponsored Post How long do chickens lay eggs?

My flock gets quality feed offered all the time but they mostly free range. Do flocks that get just commercial feed lay more and better eggs than flocks that free range too? Why do chickens need 16 hours of light? Chickens near the equator never get 16 hours of light, they would have to supplement light year round.
I have often wondered the same thing about light needs, it truly does not make sense.

Chickens near the equator never get 16 hours of light, they would have to supplement light year round.

Wow, I actually never thought of that, but it's true! :hmm Still, but supplementing light in my coop, I was able to get continuous production for years. Only this fall did I decide to shorten my hens' days along with the shorter fall days, and sure enough, they ain't layin'! Granted, some are going through a molt.

I don't supplement light in winter but I still got an egg or 2 a day from my 4 in winter. I figure if I'm going to let them live out their lives I don't want them to lay all of their eggs in their first few years. I'll let them lay in their older years even if its only 1 every week or so. Now I have 7 layers and 1 that quit a year ago after laying almost an egg a day for 5 months. I guess there are exceptions to the rule.

Back
Top Bottom