1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long do chickens lay for

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kychickguy, May 8, 2011.

1. kychickguy

kychickguy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    i was wondering how long do chickens lay eggs for before its time to get new ones

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I have Golden Comets and RIRs. I get almost an egg a day per bird for two years. Then it drops to 30% - 40% of that rate. I add birds every couple of years here. I would every year if I have a predator problem which, knock on wood, has not been serious at this time...and yearly additions have not been necessary for us.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My first hen lay eggs for 5-6 years. Her last egg was on Easter Sunday, 2006. She died a few days later.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens can lay eggs for a long time. Eventually, they start to lay less often. When that happens depends on the particular chicken. I had 3 year olds laying every day last year and as 4 year olds they are still laying 3 out of 4 days. Feeding them enough protein and a good quality protein helps, too. Not giving them a lot of extra carbs without also giving additional protein also helps.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My oldest are about 4 years and all are still laying. They don't lay as often after two years but they lay larger eggs; mine are often too big to fit in the XL store bought carton I have.

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Yep, I forgot that. They do get bigger when less often. XL cartons are often too small for those here as well.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    A rare case, but I had an Australorp who laid until she was 14! Usually mine lay until they die, just not as often as they did when they were younger.

8. kickenChickens

kickenChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Augusta
    Yeah but the big egg isn't a for sure identifier of decreasing egg production.... My 20 to 25 week old BSLs lay eggs nearly 3 1/2" tall and they lay on average 9 out of 10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by