how long do chickens lay for

I have Golden Comets and RIRs. I get almost an egg a day per bird for two years. Then it drops to 30% - 40% of that rate. I add birds every couple of years here. I would every year if I have a predator problem which, knock on wood, has not been serious at this time...and yearly additions have not been necessary for us.

Last edited:
Chickens can lay eggs for a long time. Eventually, they start to lay less often. When that happens depends on the particular chicken. I had 3 year olds laying every day last year and as 4 year olds they are still laying 3 out of 4 days. Feeding them enough protein and a good quality protein helps, too. Not giving them a lot of extra carbs without also giving additional protein also helps.

My oldest are about 4 years and all are still laying. They don't lay as often after two years but they lay larger eggs; mine are often too big to fit in the XL store bought carton I have.

A rare case, but I had an Australorp who laid until she was 14! Usually mine lay until they die, just not as often as they did when they were younger.

Yeah but the big egg isn't a for sure identifier of decreasing egg production.... My 20 to 25 week old BSLs lay eggs nearly 3 1/2" tall and they lay on average 9 out of 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom