How long do chickens live?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by livingrn, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I have a Rhode Island Red and a Red Sex link. Is it true that the mixed breed chickens don't live as long. I hope not because the Red Sex link is just like a puppy, you can pick her up and everything. She is very docile. She is only 6 months old now and my RHode Island Red is about 8 months. She is laying 5 or 6 eggs a week.

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Percysmom wrote:
    Is it true that the mixed breed chickens don't live as long

Mixed breeds usually have more vigor than the purebreds because they seem to inherit the good characterstics of each breed. They can also inherit the bad characteristics, but I usually hear more good things about the mixed breeds.

BTW, six of my hens turned 9 years old last week.​

3. busybecca

busybecca Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]

That is great!

4. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    If it helps, I have 9 that are 13yo, The eggs have slowed some but they are family now. Or at least I owe them something.

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Komaki wrote:
    If it helps, I have 9 that are 13yo, The eggs have slowed some but they are family now. Or at least I owe them something.

That is wonderful and I agree about them being family...​

6. Percysmom

Percysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Mine are still so young but I really like them a lot and hope they live a LONG LONG time. When they get old they will just be pets, I would never eat mine either. I only have 2 and I think they are really fun to watch when I let them out to graze. I can sit and watch them for hours.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have two (probably mixed) game hens, Penny and Prissy, that are 7. Miss Prissy is half blind I think because I have to make noises so she can find her food, and I have to keep her water in the same place. Other than that, they look and act like the younger hens. My white leghorn rooster and turkey hen will be 7(or 6, I lost track lol) next year.

allen wranch, I love your Appenzeller Spitzhauben roo and his flock. They look happy [​IMG]

8. jacob jones

jacob jones New Egg

Nov 13, 2011
    my rir rooster lived only lived 1 year:(

9. sohen

sohen New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Hello, I am new to this site as well, and have a question I hope someone can help me with. At the beginning of this week , I had 3 happy and I thought healthy backyard chickens.They were laying great and looked very happy. I had one die in the coop on Mon. and another one last night. No predator signs. But there is a broken egg laying next to the one I lost last night. Can anyone give me clues? Could I have fed them too much? I have one lonely chicken left and she seems sad.

10. sohen

sohen New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Oh, sorry forgot to include, they were only a year and a half old!! They looked fine right up to the end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by