How long do chickens live?

It can be any breed. I have had four hens die of cancer. They were Marans, frizzle cochin and Spitzhaubens.

The percentage of hens over four years old that will develop ovarian cancer is 45%. This is pretty high, but when you consider all the eggs a hen lays, it makes sense. This percentage was quoted by my vet and the vet that does poultry necropsies for the state.

Because of the high incidence of ovarian cancer in chickens, they are used in research of human ovarian cancer.

Quote:
allen wranch

What kind of chicken breed is that in your avatar?

Looks like my Silver Spangled Hamburg in his avatar
big_smile.png

Quote:
allen wranch

What kind of chicken breed is that in your avatar?

Looks like my Silver Spangled Hamburg in his avatar
big_smile.png

Its so pretty! I want one. Are they docile?

Thanks,
My avatar is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben roo.

This is the same rooster with his girls.

DickGirls1-11-05.jpg

They are a little flighty, but calm down pretty fast. The roos are non-aggressive toward humans.

See FeatherSite for additional information.

Im so thrilled (just ordered my first birds yesterday) to hear how long they live. NOT so thrilled to hear how short of a time they are very productive. I dont know what I thought I was expecting but now I have a new dilema. I ordered 25 birds. I hope to make a couple dollars to pay for upkeep and stock the food pantry at church. BUT when production slows and I need more birds....seriously Ill end up with like 150 birds at a time which is NOT going to happen. I know too I will NOT be willing to eat my birds and not sure I could give them away for that either. Has anyone else had this issue? Im a total chicken junkie and I dont even have birds in the pen yet. Christmas here looked like a chicken baby shower! HELP!

Back
Top Bottom