How long do chickens live?

We bury or burn depending on what time of year it is.
Man I wish burning was an option where I live! That'll only work if they die on one specific week in April. ROFL! So basically I need to be thinking of burial spots. I've only had to bury one hamster and one baby bird whose parents ditched it in the nest over our garage (found out later after it died that it had a deformed foot and wing and would never fly or walk.) *warily eyes two shih tzus* I hope I'm not doing a lot of burying anytime soon!

Well, I may be weird, but I freeze them in a plastic zip loc bag. Then, when my husband needs to bait a wild animal trap, we thaw it & use it as bait.
I believe that is referred to as "recycling". Good to get a little more good out of critter that dedicated its life to providing us food and entertainment, IMO.

So morbid but while we're on the subject..what do you guys do with your chickens who die of 'natural' causes? I'm getting our first girls on Saturday and this has been weighing on my mind.
Wrap really well in double trash bags and put in trash can.
Make sure its legal in your town.

If you have room, you can bury them.

Well, I may be weird, but I freeze them in a plastic zip loc bag. Then, when my husband needs to bait a wild animal trap, we thaw it & use it as bait.
That's a good idea! We don't have anything to trap but I'd totally do that if I did! Think it'll work for a deer? :p (That's about all we see hanging around)

We have a dump in our county that allows livestock, pets, other animals, to be dumped there if they are under 110lbs. I do that with some chickens. Of course I will bury my best hen friend 'Piper' when she is ready to go. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I put Piper in a dump! Dead Chicks can be thrown in the woods or in a garbage can. Burying is a long process since you need to dig a hole at least 2-3 ft deep. Hope this is helpful.

We have a dump in our county that allows livestock, pets, other animals, to be dumped there if they are under 110lbs. I do that with some chickens. Of course I will bury my best hen friend 'Piper' when she is ready to go. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I put Piper in a dump! Dead Chicks can be thrown in the woods or in a garbage can. Burying is a long process since you need to dig a hole at least 2-3 ft deep. Hope this is helpful.

That is much longer than I expected!! I'm going to have these chickens for a then!!
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom