1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do chicks need to be in a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by copon2900, Aug 13, 2013.

1. copon2900

copon2900 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Dorset, England
    How long do you keep them in the brooder? I have 4 frizzles, 1light Sussex, 2 speckled Sussex, 1 buff Sussex, and 2 vorwerk eggs. They're due to hatch on Saturday so I'm not in too much of a rush. Also, I have 4 older chickens, and someone told me they might have IB. Is there anything I can do to cure them?

2. You will find you want to keep them in the brooder until they have feathered. 4 weeks is done by many. You may be able to get away with 3 if the weather is hot enough.

What is IB?

3. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I have some in the incubator which will be hatching hopefully on 19th. At this time of year I suspect they will be ready to go outside at three to four weeks, although if there is still room I will be leaving them in the brooder for a fifth week without the heat lamp just so I can keep a good eye on them to make sure they are ready.

4. copon2900

Aug 1, 2013
    Dorset, England
    Thank you for your help! Surprisingly, the eggs are hatching right now! It's a bit soon, but hopefully they're ready. IB is infectious bronchitis. I will be posting some pics of the little guys once they've all hatched.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Well make sure those chicks are no where near the older ones if you think they might be sick. My chickens were actually in their brooder until 9wks (I think) because of issues having the coop built. They spent the entire day in a covered large dog kennel though and only in the brooder to sleep

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/78/infectious-bronchitis-ib

Best of luck with the hatching!

6. copon2900

Aug 1, 2013
    Dorset, England
    I will make sure! I think ill keep them in the brooder a couple of weeks, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by