How long do Coturnix quail live?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rachel, Apr 29, 2009.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    From what little I've found, the answer seems to vary between 2 and 5 years in captivity. Do any of you with experience have an answer for this?
    Also, if you butcher a quail that's 1 year old will it be tough like an old hen? (Quail au vin anyone?) Thanks!

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I think Citalk2much has some oldie coturnix cuties [​IMG] I wouldnt know from experience on how old they can be yet but I do know that if the hens are laying year round they will expire quicker than a hen that only lays during a natural yearly season. [​IMG]

as for culling like say over a year old bird or something like that, I don't see how it would really effect thembut hey it im not sure? LOL

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would say until Niki gets out her trusty scissors and cuts off their heads! [​IMG]

She's like the Queen of Hearts in 'Alice in Wonderland'....."Off with their heads!!" [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah in a few more months I'll be replacing out my oldies and they'll be a year by then sooo i'm sure I will cull most so LOL i'll have some experience then with if the meat is tough or not LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by