How long do ducks live and how long do they lay eggs?

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
Have seen some posts that say some ducks still laying at 8-9 years? I assume production drops off. By about how much?

Also, what is the average life span of the domestic duck (predators notwithstanding)?

Posts I find doing a search seem to apply to chickens predominantly.

I first got ducks about 8 years ago. Some of my original ducks are still with me and perfectly healthy. The girls do still lay in the spring, but have become more seasonal. They seem to slow down about age 3 or so... however the broody ducks don't seem to get broody until they are 3 or so also! My Saxony girls tend to get broody at age 2, but the other ones are slower. I've lost some of the original ducks to natural causes, a few of those I'm not too sure why they died. I keep an eye on parasites, feed and the like, but things happen. Ducks seem to be clumsy and get into accidents and also tend to get leg injuries, some of which I have had to put them down for in the end. I've seen pictures of ducks in their early teens.

Anecdotally, I've learned that ducks can live up to their teens if they're healthy and protected from predators.

Average age, if I recall correctly from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, is three to four years - that takes into account losses to predators and other injury.

Some breeds, I am told, lay pretty well up to age six or so, but they do slow down the older they get. This is my second year with runner ducks, and I have just my original flock (minus the two who died from egg yolk peritonitis (one confirmed, the other is my guess)). My plan is to add three or four ducklings every three years or so, given that (I don't like to think about it, but it happens) we are likely to lose a few each year.

That should keep a fairly decent number of eggs coming in.

Back
Top Bottom