How long do egg songs last? At what point do you worry?

Neilette

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have a Modern Game Bantam outside making a cacophony of sound pacing to get into the run, pacing the run, pacing to get out of the run. It's been going on for a half hour now. Her hind-quarters are larger than usual, which makes me think she's got a package 'needs delivering. She's new, hasn't laid in a week or so (MGBs aren't layers), and so I don't expect her to know to use the nest box -- so the wandering around restlessly doesn't concern me, but the duration of time she's been restless does make me nervous.

How long does an egg song last before you start to suspect an egg-bound hen?

UPDATE: It took her an hour to do it, but I finally found a small egg sitting in the bottom of the coop. Whew. It was just a newbie panic attack.

I was just about to tell you not to worry- but you got your egg sooner than I could respond:)
I have an EE that does that- she's the only one that does out of 6 girls and she gets downright agitated and loud- walking faster and faster - back and forth- up into the nest and back out- a dozen or so times- She eventually gets down to business, she's just more flamboyant than the others and needs everyone to know what she's going to do and how important she is.

It sounds like she didn't want to lay in the places she had access to. I wonder if putting a dummy egg in the nestbox would make her more comfortable laying there.

Back
Top Bottom