How long do eggs keep in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SecretHavenFarm, Aug 5, 2010.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    I know I should really know this lol, but I have just moved out on my own and never really payed attention to how long my keeps her eggs.

I will be getting some laying hens, I plan to pick up the eggs everyday and put them into a carton in my fridge. But how long does and egg actually keep in the fridge?

Also when cleaning the eggs, is water and soap enough? Or do I need a special egg cleaner?

2. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I would say about 3-4 weeks, but I always do the float test. Do that before you use them. If the egg floats, toss it in the trash.

I rinse the eggs off before I use them, so that that water temp is warmer than the egg.

3. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Fresh eggs should be good in the fridge for a few months and you shouldn't wash them at all...it will remove the protective "bloom" to allow bacteria to enter.
    I do rinse mine sometimes, especially where there is poo on them.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've eaten eggs that were more than 5 weeks old and they were fine. And they weren't kept in the fridge, just in a cool corner of the kitchen...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by