How long do eggs last?

You mentioned washing your eggs, before packaging. I read somewhere to not wash them until use because of some coating on the shell that keeps bacteria out. Anyone know which is correct? Thanks

You mentioned washing your eggs, before packaging. I read somewhere to not wash them until use because of some coating on the shell that keeps bacteria out. Anyone know which is correct? Thanks
I think in most states if you want to sell eggs you need a license. In my state the requirement for licensing is that you have a quick inspection, and have proper places to wash and candle your eggs before packaging for sale. Maybe that is what the discussion of washing was about.

The eggs we keep here for our family we don't wash unless they are visibly dirty. (I am just not concerned with germs to the point of washing every egg for my personal consumption.) If I am dropping a dozen off for my parents or something though I will wash them.

Yes, washing will remove the bloom that protects the egg.

Refrigerated you have 3 months from lay to eat them, easily.

I spoke about this with my egg inspector. I label all mine as "best by" and give 45 days from teh day they are packed. I pack every 4th day. I know they'll last longer, but he feels it's a god compromise duration to use.

3 months refrigerated washed? or unwashed?

Back
Top Bottom