How Long do I Feed My Chicks Feed

Ok that was really weird.....I just answered one of your questions again! Haha.
wee.gif

I just asked that question yesterday and people told me yes.

I have my golden comet chicks in a brooder in the incubator room. The other night I saw one of them snag a musquito that had landed on the hardware cloth. He looked so proud of himself! lol

They should be getting chick starter, even if they can eat bugs they are too young to be having to forage for everything they require at one week old. I would not even let them outside yet....they are small and lots of things out there that will eat baby chicks.

I would feed them chick starter until at least 4 to 5 weeks old. By then they will get their feathers...and I wouldn't let them go outside to forage until they were older. The exception would be if they are being raised by a hen and she would teach them and protect them while they were outside. Also they should probably go outside in a pen at first so dogs and cats and hawks can't get at them yet.

They should be getting chick starter, even if they can eat bugs they are too young to be having to forage for everything they require at one week old. I would not even let them outside yet....they are small and lots of things out there that will eat baby chicks.

I would feed them chick starter until at least 4 to 5 weeks old. By then they will get their feathers...and I wouldn't let them go outside to forage until they were older. The exception would be if they are being raised by a hen and she would teach them and protect them while they were outside. Also they should probably go outside in a pen at first so dogs and cats and hawks can't get at them yet.
But if they are in a cage then they'll be fine or if ChickyChickGirl is with them ALL the time.
But yes of course they still need chick starter and I'm pretty sure ChickyChickGirl knows that.
And she can catch bugs to put in the brooder for them.

Thank you :) haha lightchick we always do this! but yes my brooder is indoors so don't worry about that
big_smile.png
. Yea even when they are older though I'm still a little nervous because we have a family of hawks in our yard. well on the edge. And we also have wandering foxes too. But as long as there is chicken wire :) Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom