How long do I have to wait to find out if my wyandottes have any internal injuries?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mackie n chicks, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    After some unexpected high winds last night (I live in highlands of Scotland) the coop with my two young (around 6 months old) toppled over. I don't know if they'd be in there for two hours or 2 minutes but we charged out and rescued them. They were both still alive and put them into a darkened room with straw. After being left for a few minutes one of them had seemingly been sick. After a few hours they starting pecking the food we put food down into our bathroom (where they had been put so we could watch them). One of them seem to wince a bit when I picked her up. I'm hoping they are just battered and bruised. They have now been put outside and seem to be pecking around ok, but how long will I know if either of them have internal injuries? Is there anything else I can do for them? Thanks for any help!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm assuming you have checked them over for external injuries. Their behavior sounds normal, so I'd say they are likely fine. The only thing I would suggest you do for them is build them a more sturdy coop! [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You'll know in a day or so. Watch their behavior--if they're eating, drinking, active, laying (if they were before, of course [​IMG] ) then they're good. Lethargic, refusing food or drink, huddled/hunched over, any other behavior that seems "off' means there's something going on.

Good luck--hope they do just fine.

4. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    Hi The coop was pinned down by extra strong metal tent pegs, however that wind whipped upto 70 mph! We have moved the coop next to a concrete base fence, pinned it down and tied it to the fence with rope! They are eating and drinking but are definitely more subdued - Amber is usually running around like a mad woman winding the others up. They are both keeping very close to each other. I'm just waiting and hoping they're ok. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by