1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long do I isolate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl57, Oct 27, 2010.

1. countrygirl57

countrygirl57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    How long do I isolate a full grown rooster to my flock from another area/

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    do you free range your chickens? if you do, then i would suggest an introduction that way might work. thats what i did, with new flock etc.
    however i have read on byc that others introduce at night time. how many other chickens are you talking about? and is there another rooster already?

goodluck

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    have you got him in quarantine to make sure he has no illness or mites? or are you just waiting to introduce them, I think a lot of people would say a month for quarantine, but I'm new to this too so hopefully 1 of the experts will pipe up.

4. countrygirl57

countrygirl57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    No There are 2 roosters that was offered to me. I don't have them yet. Not sure if I want them yet. My 22 hens free range on 3 acres of grass & large trees.
    I just don't know where to keep them if I take them . I guess it's taking to big of a chance not to

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    well if you know the birds and the flock they are coming from just make sure there isn't any sickness in that flock and check them for mites before you take them, I don't think roosters will have that much trouble joining a flock of hens, especially free ranging, but you need to introduce them to the coop so they know where home is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by