How long do I leave mama on the nest?

Roseofsharing

Chirping
May 28, 2020
I have a hen that just hatched three chicks today. I didn’t discover her until she was well established and want to move them to a cleaner and safer spot but don’t know how much longer to let her sit on the unhatched eggs.

I have a hen that just hatched three chicks today. I didn’t discover her until she was well established and want to move them to a cleaner and safer spot but don’t know how much longer to let her sit on the unhatched eggs.
Give her at least 2 more days.
Where is she currently sitting? Can you post a picture?
Is she secure?
Does she have access to the flock?

Give her at least 2 more days.
Where is she currently sitting? Can you post a picture?
Is she secure?
Does she have access to the flock?
Ok, I’ll give her another couple days. She chose to go broody in a dog house in a fenced area. It does have a door that is heavy enough other chickens can’t get in which I’ve been shutting at night but now I’m keeping it shut to make sure the other chickens stay out. I am also not sure two of the three chicks are going to make it. The first chick is standing upright, coming and going from under mom but the other two are more parallel to the ground and staying under mom unless they get jostled out. They look healthy otherwise. Is there anything I can do for those two or just wait and see? This is my first time with a broody hen.

I’m keeping it shut to make sure the other chickens stay out.
I wouldn't do that. I would allow her to have access to the flock in the flock to her. I was more concerned with predators having access to her.

Is there anything I can do for those two or just wait and see?
I would take a wait and see approach. They could have 'failure to thrive' or they just need a little bit more time to perk up.
Do you have chick starter and water in with the mother? That way she can feed them or they can feed themselves if she doesn't want to get off the nest.

I wouldn't do that. I would allow her to have access to the flock in the flock to her. I was more concerned with predators having access to her.

I would take a wait and see approach. They could have 'failure to thrive' or they just need a little bit more time to perk up.
Do you have chick starter and water in with the mother? That way she can feed them or they can feed themselves if she doesn't want to get off the nest.
Yes both water and chick starter. It’s been in with her for a couple weeks because she stopped getting off the nest. She’s very dedicated.

Broody hens typically get off the nest at least once per day to poop, eat, dust bathe, and preen a bit. If they do not get off the nest daily they can soil the nest and the eggs.
Yes she was pooping out the back of the nest and I was cleaning it up. It’s been an interesting time lol.

Thank you for your suggestions! Momma ended up with six chicks total! One just hatched today and is still attached to the yolk sac so we will see about that one, but I’ve removed the other eggs and plan on moving everyone tomorrow to a better location.

IMG_4180.jpeg

Four black and two gray. Maran momma and silverudd roo mix, I’ve heard this combo could create an olive egg layer but we will see! 😊

Back
Top Bottom