How long do I wait to "help"...?

CowgirlMama

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Baker City, Oregon
I have an egg that has pipped but hasn't progressed since lunchtime (now going on 7-8 hours). The hole isn't any bigger than it was then. The chick is moving and chirping and trying to get out, but isn't out yet... How long do I wait before I try to help it out a little? I don't want to if I can avoid it, but I also don't want to lose the chick!!! Oh, its under a broody hen, not in a brooder....

I need help on this ASAP!!! Just went out and checked, and the chick hasn't progressed out of the shell anymore than before! Still just one little hole... Should I help it out a little...?

My policy is that I don't help for at least 24-28 hours.

I've only done a few hatches, but most of my chicks took 18-26 hours to go from tiny hole to hatched chick. So, going on my "normal", yours is right on schedule.

Sit on your hands. It's stressful, but it'll be ok.

If it was me, after 24 hours I would help that chick. If the other eggs are under the hen it's not like they are gonna get their humidity messed up if you help one a little. There are tips on helping if you absolutely have to... run a search... might even be in a sticky.

Thanks! I've done some more research on here, and that's kinda the conclusion I came to... this is my first hatch, and the other 3 chicks that have hatched so far seemed to hatch fairly quickly (just a few hours). I'm starting to feel a little better- you'd never guess I was raised on a ranch the way I'm "fretting" over one little chick! I know some make it and some don't, but chicks just seem so helpless!! I'm hoping and praying that there is a new little baby in the nest tomorrow morning when I go out to check!

Thanks for all the advice! The chick finally made it out sometime last night or early this morning. I went out to check and and there "he" was all fluffed and dry and peeping away under mama hen! I also found another pipped egg that was QUITE loud and moving a lot!! Looks like #5 will be here sometime today!! :D That leaves just 2 more eggs to go... :)

Yay!!
that is what happened with my first chick. I was starting to panick that it had been too long, started reading how to help out a chick, right then it started busting out and I didn't have to help at all. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom