How long do I wait

I’ve also got the pure pekin who is now officially over 24hrs old… I’m currently calling him/her baby it seems to like that name…

I’ve still got one who is hatching… but I’m in no rush to assist anymore than I already have… it will either hatch completely on its own or not either way what ever happens.. happens

Attachments

• 11E0DB4B-5EFE-42B6-8867-B4049ED26CE6.jpeg
    11E0DB4B-5EFE-42B6-8867-B4049ED26CE6.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1DD89088-01DB-4206-80B3-D7F3EE470AA2.jpeg
    1DD89088-01DB-4206-80B3-D7F3EE470AA2.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 3
  • 076A4883-25EE-46F5-8105-680784BF1F3D.jpeg
    076A4883-25EE-46F5-8105-680784BF1F3D.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 3
Thanks darl.. it is what it is… and with all the issues I’ve been having I’m not surprised
My first hatch this year (and it was with a broody, too) was awful, all but two died. I have no idea why, as the same hen has just hatched ten babies this time. So sometimes it just doesn't work out never mind how much one would like it too. And even the hens don't always get it right!

My first hatch this year (and it was with a broody, too) was awful, all but two died. I have no idea why, as the same hen has just hatched ten babies this time. So sometimes it just doesn't work out never mind how much one would like it too. And even the hens don't always get it right!
Thanks I know… I’ve just lost my other Cayuga x pekin duckling about 20mins ago… I’ve decided that my hatching incubator is going in the bin… and my incubation incubator is going on gumtree… time I let the girls do what they’re supposed to do… sit on eggs and hatch babies… if it doesn’t work then I know it’s just natures way of saying “nope those genes are not a good mix”
I’ve currently got my pekin x silkie girl sitting on 6 mixed lot eggs in one of my spare rooster/show transport boxes with food and water and wood shavings in my room where I can keep her and eggs/babies safe until they hatch then babies will be slowly taken away one by one and placed in my brooder tank until she has none left and will be places back outside… I’m currently removing her from the eggs once a day for about 2-3mins for her to poop on some paper towel and then placing her back into the box… she’s happy I’m happy and everyone is happy… I think for now this is the best option… go back to basics… everything happens for a reason

It is what it is… she did will to last as long as she did.. she ruptured her sac twice and then in the end the sac got infected… this is the horrible part to being a chicken/duck
Thanks I know… I’ve just lost my other Cayuga x pekin duckling about 20mins ago… I’ve decided that my hatching incubator is going in the bin… and my incubation incubator is going on gumtree… time I let the girls do what they’re supposed to do… sit on eggs and hatch babies… if it doesn’t work then I know it’s just natures way of saying “nope those genes are not a good mix”
I’ve currently got my pekin x silkie girl sitting on 6 mixed lot eggs in one of my spare rooster/show transport boxes with food and water and wood shavings in my room where I can keep her and eggs/babies safe until they hatch then babies will be slowly taken away one by one and placed in my brooder tank until she has none left and will be places back outside… I’m currently removing her from the eggs once a day for about 2-3mins for her to poop on some paper towel and then placing her back into the box… she’s happy I’m happy and everyone is happy… I think for now this is the best option… go back to basics… everything happens for a reason
It’s hard to know how and when to assist them
I learned a lot my first batch and had a member on here helping me after I lost the first one helping to much to soon
Now if they do need assistance I’m very confident and don’t loose them
Patience is what I learned
Once they have a beak by the hole to breath they really need ti be left alone to absorb 24-48 hours after external pip
The more we open the egg the greater the risk to the baby while absorbing
When babies hatch themselves they make a small crack externally then 8-12 hours later another small crack close or beside the first one.
Then nothing till they are ready to start zipping. This keeps them safe from Bactria and air getting to the yolk
When we help we make a hole and that allows stuff into the egg
I try to do as little as possible for a good 24 hours after external pip
My fingers are crossed for your next hatch
With the Brody mom she can come off longer then 2-3 mins
My duck would be off 10-15 mins at a time and she would jump in the kid pool and wet her tummy
Eat. Drink . Poo and preen
But my duck had a blocked off area with access to her feed and water 24/7 and twice a day I would open the gate and she would run out to the kid pool
With that being said here is another question about your incubation
We’re you taking the eggs out once a day for 5-10 mins to cool to room temp and spritzing them lightly with water ? I start this day 10 till lockdown as this helps to soften then shell for hatch. It also mimics mom getting wet and laying back on her eggs
I have very high hatch rates and only use a little giant incubator nothing expensive or fancy but follow a certain way and it’s been very good including many 100 % hatches even with 2 schools using my set up and my way of incubating with zero experience in hatching anything they got 100 % hatches
I also hand turn my eggs 3-5 times per day and candle everyday
I’m very hands on with my eggs during incubation
I also follow the babies not the rule of day 25 if lockdown needs to start a day early or a day late then I go with baby
Shadowing , rocking egg , air cell drop all tell me stop turning and leave the egg alone
Hope these tips help you for next time

Back
Top Bottom