1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do I wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wvchickenhouse, Dec 8, 2011.

1. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    How long do I wait for my eggs to hatch in my incubator if it's past 21 days? Mine should be pipping but they are not....Help please...[​IMG]

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Wait until day 26-27 atleast.

Have you had any problems with temperatures? Low temperatures slow development and cause late
    hatches. Last year the thermometer in my incubator was reading PERFECT at 99.5 F - 100 F, but it
    turned out the temperature was only 94 F, and my only baby who hatched pipped on day 26. [​IMG]

I would wait until the 23rd day or so to do this, but float testing the eggs is a good way to check viability.
    Also, what are you seeing when you candle the eggs? Do they look under developed at all? Do they look
    as if they have pipped? (Shadows/beak will be visible in the air sac when candling if so)

Float test

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by