How long do new layers lay soft shelled eggs and it still be considered “normal”?

xXDestinyXx

Chirping
Feb 29, 2020
NE Arkansas
Hello, all! Our girls FINALLY started laying in the last 2 weeks or so 🥳 and one of our BR laid one shellless egg (that was a weird find to see the chickens eating 😳) and has so far laid 3-4 more but they’ve all been soft shelled. We have another new lawithin the last few days laying small soft shelled ones as well (most likely one of our BA’s) and I’m just wondering how long it’s considered “normal-ish” for them to lay soft shelled ones in the beginning stages?? I mean, over the course of a few weeks will it straighten out, a few days, a week...?

We would have had a whopping half dozen yesterday 😂 had these two girls laid regular eggs. 😜 I found another one this morning 🤦🏻‍♀️ so I’m like dang, that’s a waste!

The other odd thing is, they’re laying them from their roost bar. Most likely before they come down first thing in the morning?? I go out pretty early and they’re directly underneath where the girls roost.

We feed Nutrena Healthy Hen because we prefer the girls on 18% protein and it has 3.9% calcium to note. We also have a large PVC pipe contraption that we fill with oyster shell so it’s readily available. They get fresh grass each day and refrigerated watermelon occasionally as of late because of this wretched heat. Ahhhh yeah I forgot to mention that earlier but this Arkansas heat is no joke lately! 🥵 Part of me wondered if the soft shelled eggs were from the heat too. We’ve been putting ice in their water a few times a day as well to keep it cool. They’re in a completely shaded/covered run so no worries of direct sunlight. We keep a box fan running as well both night and day until these temps ease up.

Anyway, any advice or input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hello, all! Our girls FINALLY started laying in the last 2 weeks or so 🥳 and one of our BR laid one shellless egg (that was a weird find to see the chickens eating 😳) and has so far laid 3-4 more but they’ve all been soft shelled. We have another new lawithin the last few days laying small soft shelled ones as well (most likely one of our BA’s) and I’m just wondering how long it’s considered “normal-ish” for them to lay soft shelled ones in the beginning stages?? I mean, over the course of a few weeks will it straighten out, a few days, a week...?

We would have had a whopping half dozen yesterday 😂 had these two girls laid regular eggs. 😜 I found another one this morning 🤦🏻‍♀️ so I’m like dang, that’s a waste!

The other odd thing is, they’re laying them from their roost bar. Most likely before they come down first thing in the morning?? I go out pretty early and they’re directly underneath where the girls roost.

We feed Nutrena Healthy Hen because we prefer the girls on 18% protein and it has 3.9% calcium to note. We also have a large PVC pipe contraption that we fill with oyster shell so it’s readily available. They get fresh grass each day and refrigerated watermelon occasionally as of late because of this wretched heat. Ahhhh yeah I forgot to mention that earlier but this Arkansas heat is no joke lately! 🥵 Part of me wondered if the soft shelled eggs were from the heat too. We’ve been putting ice in their water a few times a day as well to keep it cool. They’re in a completely shaded/covered run so no worries of direct sunlight. We keep a box fan running as well both night and day until these temps ease up.

Anyway, any advice or input would be appreciated! Thanks!
I've never had a soft shelled egg from any of my 9 month old girls.

They do need to eat about 90% of their lay feed. Do you think they are getting too much grass or other snacks? Another reason for soft shells is stress which might be why they are laying from their roost?

They do need to eat about 90% of their lay feed. Do you think they are getting too much grass or other snacks? Another reason for soft shells is stress which might be why they are laying from their roost?

They’re not getting too many treats. I merely added all necessary info because someone always asks. They’re not under any stress at all except for late last week into Saturday our neighbor had some trees cut down. The chainsaws did bother them a bit but they’ve since chilled again. They’re just getting going sonó know there’s a plethora of places they will lay until they figure out routine and where to go.

I've never had a soft shelled egg from any of my 9 month old girls.

Well that’s great for you then. Where do you live? I didn’t see it on your profile. Are you newer to chickens? Are yours free range? There’s so many variables at play here.

They’re not getting too many treats. I merely added all necessary info because someone always asks. They’re not under any stress at all except for late last week into Saturday our neighbor had some trees cut down. The chainsaws did bother them a bit but they’ve since chilled again. They’re just getting going sonó know there’s a plethora of places they will lay until they figure out routine and where to go.

Well that’s great for you then. Where do you live? I didn’t see it on your profile. Are you newer to chickens? Are yours free range? There’s so many variables at play here.
I'm in California. It's been hot here also. We free range about 8 hours a day or so. We had chickens many years ago and decided to get some again last year. I've got 5 girls about 9 months old and 3 chicks coming soon.

I'm in California. It's been hot here also. We free range about 8 hours a day or so. We had chickens many years ago and decided to get some again last year. I've got 5 girls about 9 months old and 3 chicks coming soon.

The humidity with the heat here is wretched. I would think if yours free range then even if they did lay a shell less or soft shelled egg, it would have been eaten. Ours aren’t free range as we live in the city and it was only happenstance that I walked in right after someone laid a shell less one to see my girls gobbling it up.

The original intention of my post is to gain info from those who’ve experienced it or have advisable knowledge of the situation. @aart do you happen to have any input?? I see you comment on so many things lol.

I’m just wondering how long it’s considered “normal-ish” for them to lay soft shelled ones in the beginning stages??
Could be a month or so until things smooth out with new layers.

For the heat......
Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

The humidity with the heat here is wretched. I would think if yours free range then even if they did lay a shell less or soft shelled egg, it would have been eaten. Ours aren’t free range as we live in the city and it was only happenstance that I walked in right after someone laid a shell less one to see my girls gobbling it up.

The original intention of my post is to gain info from those who’ve experienced it or have advisable knowledge of the situation. @aart do you happen to have any input?? I see you comment on so many things lol.
[/QUOTE
I apologise.

Could be a month or so until things smooth out with new layers.

For the heat......
Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.

Make space in your freezer!

VERY helpful information, thank you SO much!! 🤩 We actually did do a gallon of Sav A Chick day before yesterday as we knew the girls were hot and could probably benefit from them. Having the measurements for different amounts of water is very handy. I will have to finagle room in my freezers because they’re pretty full of food currently 😂 but a small wading pool with ice is a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom