How long do new layers lay soft shelled eggs and it still be considered “normal”?

I wonder .... 🤔 ... if they free range 8 hours a day, are they really getting all the nutrients they need from their layer feed and the available oyster shell. Maybe they are filling up, not on treats, but on the outdoor buffet? Here's a suggestion you might try for a week or so to see if it helps: keep the chickens confined till about 3 in the afternoon, then let them free range the rest of the day. Also, put golf balls or fake eggs in the nests where you want them to lay, they will lay there when they see those there. Good luck!

I wonder .... 🤔 ... if they free range 8 hours a day, are they really getting all the nutrients they need from their layer feed and the available oyster shell. Maybe they are filling up, not on treats, but on the outdoor buffet? Here's a suggestion you might try for a week or so to see if it helps: keep the chickens confined till about 3 in the afternoon, then let them free range the rest of the day. Also, put golf balls or fake eggs in the nests where you want them to lay, they will lay there when they see those there. Good luck!

I think maybe you have mine confused with the other person who commented earlier lol. Mine don’t free range. The other person commented that theirs do. Ours are in a large enclosed run and their primary food is the layer feed. 😊

We placed fake eggs in the boxes 2 or 3 weeks ago. 😉

I so far only have 1 layer. Shes laid 2 soft shell eggs and has only been laying about 2 weeks. I've noticed the soft dhelledbones werevehen we were unbearably hot, which makes me think she may not have eaten great those days and instead just drank tons. I've also been told it can take new layers a while to work out their kinks.

Guess you won't find a plastic sled in your state.
Saw someone cut down the sides of a wading pool for easier chicken access.

We hardly ever find sleds around here! 😂 Usually have to order them lol! Rubbermaid Brute kids work well too though for that purpose. 😜

I’m going to try to locate a small plastic pool today.

I so far only have 1 layer. Shes laid 2 soft shell eggs and has only been laying about 2 weeks. I've noticed the soft dhelledbones werevehen we were unbearably hot, which makes me think she may not have eaten great those days and instead just drank tons. I've also been told it can take new layers a while to work out their kinks.

It’s good to know my new layers aren’t the only ones. 🥰 Hopefully pues get the kinks straightened out SOON. ☺️

We hardly ever find sleds around here! 😂 Usually have to order them lol! Rubbermaid Brute kids work well too though for that purpose. 😜

I’m going to try to locate a small plastic pool today.
I have some other shallow pans that work too, not sure where I got them or what their intended use was.
Lots of things that would work.

I think maybe you have mine confused with the other person who commented earlier lol. Mine don’t free range. The other person commented that theirs do. Ours are in a large enclosed run and their primary food is the layer feed. 😊

We placed fake eggs in the boxes 2 or 3 weeks ago. 😉
Just want to chime in here I’m dealing with the same thing here. My girls started laying a week ago and so far I have had a soft shell and a no shell egg. Has your issues resolved in time?

Just want to chime in here I’m dealing with the same thing here. My girls started laying a week ago and so far I have had a soft shell and a no shell egg. Has your issues resolved in time?

Oh yes, absolutely. It seems like over the course of a month or so everything lined out. 😊 It was maybe 2 of our chickens that laid the soft ones while the others never did. It just takes a little bit of time for their systems to get in sync. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom