how long do shipped eggs have to settle before being iincubated?

I'm hoping that they are fine. The eggs are so dark I can't candle which is driving me nuts not knowing how many have viable embryos. Conditions have been alright but they were shipped from OK to NY so who knows. They are due to hatch June 8th so we ill find out soon. I hope yours work out too!

I know I'm late chiming in, but Storey's Guide says to rest them 24 hours in an egg carton with the small end down so that the yolk has time to return to the middle of the egg. If the yolk isn't in the middle, it can stick to the shell and make the chick have a hard time hatching or even keep it from developing.

Can't wait to hear how your hatch goes!
jumpy.gif

They didn't do well. A couple had a developing chick but died along the way. It was not a proper incubator.
hit.gif

Today I bought one of those 3 egg incubators. The lady at the feed store said the school buys a lot of them and they work for them. Can anyone give me any tips before I start. So how long should the eggs rest after my hens lay them, 24 hours also?

My hatch didn't go so well. I only got one! None of the others even pipped. I am so disapointed. I'm going to try it again though!

you guys are not filling me with confidence here! Im due to get a dozen or so eggs ( silkies) in the next week or so. Hopefully if i let them rest they will hatch ( at least some of them).THis will be my first go at hatching eggs.

Silkie eggs Eh?, I have four silkie eggs in the bator right now. I am on day 21 and no sighs of pip or anything but a couple wiggled this morning so im waiting to see some pip soon!

Back
Top Bottom