How long do they sit on the nest,

Glenmar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
VIRGINIA
My hen has hatched all but 3 eggs. She is still sitting and keeping the brood warm. They need to get out to eat and drink. How long will she sit? Should I try to get her off the nest or take the remaining eggs away ???

How long ago did the first chicks hatch? In my experience, hens generally leave the nest within 36 hours of the hatching of the first chick.

My hen has hatched all but 3 eggs. She is still sitting and keeping the brood warm. They need to get out to eat and drink. How long will she sit? Should I try to get her off the nest or take the remaining eggs away ???[/quot

My hen was sitting on 18 eggs that began hatching on May 3. The next day she was done and I discarded the remaining eggs. They had not pipped and there were no peeping sounds. She ended up hatching 11...

Ok. Thanks. I will give her 36 hours. I don't think those last 3 will hatch. Most hatched on Saturday.

My turkey just hatched 2 baby turkeys and 8 baby chicks will she sit anymore this year

OK I'm new here please help me

This is my first year hatching turkey eggs. From what I have read if she is raising them she may not sit on a new clutch. On the other hand if poults are on a brooder she may start a new clutch and sit.
What I did is that the first couple weeks she started laying I removed the eggs and incubated them. Then she sat. I moved incubated poults to a brooder and added them to her nest when her clutch hatched.
They were born 8 days apparatus and she still accepted them and 4 duck eggs too ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom