How long do they stay on strike?

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
We have 6 layers and as soon as the time changed, all but two stopped laying. Every now and then one will grace us with an egg, but my EE that lays the olive eggs hasn't layed one in 2 weeks!!!! No one is molting either. Is this normal? we have lights....

I ahd to pay $5 for a dozen organic brown eggs, supposedly free roam yesterday at the store.

Tell me about it, debiraymond! I'm not sure it'll make you feel any better, but my EE hasn't laid an egg since July 19th!

I keep a calendar so I've got a pretty good idea of their patterns. Mine will usually stop laying a couple weeks BEFORE they molt.

I'm not enjoying paying for eggs either. Do you have a Trader Joe's? Their egg prices are a bit better for the organic free range eggs.

Alas we do not have a TJ's up here. I with they would build one. They are building two of everything the else though! I was so mad that I had to buy eggs. This is first time since we got the chickens!!! I needed 9 eggs for banana bread, and only had 5 eggs.

Have the other half get you more hens. Then get a roo to keep them happy.
fl.gif
Happy chickens lay more eggs.
ya.gif

I don't know but I hope it is not long. I have hens of 5 different ages plus ducks and I have not seen an egg in awhile.

Quote:
We do have 6 chicks that are 13 weeks now, and 4 more in the brooder at 2 1/2 weeks. I know come spring we will be overrun with eggs, which is fine with me! I just want to know when these guys will get with the program. We have lights to extend the day and all, they are just stubborn. Maybe they aren't getting enough banana's. Heck we just gave them a big bowl of mashed taters and some pancakes.

I guess i'm extremely lucky here in arkansas. I've got a dozen six-month-old barred rocks and even with temps being down in the 20s and 30s i've gotten 35 3ggs in the last 4 days!

There is such a thing as giving them too many treats. They really need the complete nutrition of their layer feed to make eggs. Treats should be just that, treats and not make up the majority of their diet.
My hens slowed down for about a week when winter started to set in but they're now back up to full production.

Back
Top Bottom