how long do you give brooding?

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
A few weeks ago my Australorp went broody. I did the usual removal, then resorting to the wire cage, then after a week I said screw it. I marked two eggs with a sharpie so I knew which ones they were, gave them to her to nest on, and since have been removing other eggs, leaving her those two. Twice now in the last week, she has relocated boxes and ditched those eggs. I keep putting them back under her. Why would she leave them? And go to EMPTY boxes mind you? She herself isn't laying anything.

block her in another box? then she won't be able to leave for food, assuming she's even doing this, who knows.

It can work to section off a box, if you are willing to manually remove the broody once a day and put her outside (and then wait around) while she comes out of her broody trance to eat, drink, do business and have a quick dust bath. After 15 to 20 minutes she will return clucking to the box, and then you put her back in. I would make sure she has access to water in her box though if it is hot.

The other option is section off a section of the coop for her and move a next box there. It needs to be big enough to have a separate water and food dish and space go to the bathroom. The food and water needs to be far enough away, so that she has to get up to eat and drink, otherwise, she is likely to foul the nest.

Or you can continue to keep a sharp eye out and continually move the eggs back under her.

By broody box I am referring to a separate place with a nesting area and a section which allows your broody to leave the nest daily to eat, drink and dedicate.
I built broody hutches for this purpose that resemble rabbit hutches.
If you move your broody to a new spot, do it after dark. It will be less upsetting for her.

Back
Top Bottom