How long do you guys let eggs rest after shipping before incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by funnybirds, Jan 20, 2011.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I had heard it was at least 12 hours but was curious about other folks methods and the reasoning behind it.
    Thanks!

2. jenfork

jenfork Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I just received my serama eggs this morning, at 8am. Will be setting them around 8pm. I wait at least 12-24 hours.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Overnight. I use the day the eggs arrive to set up the incubator and have it ready for them the next day.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you will incubate but not turn the eggs for the first 3 days, THEN start turning them you will likely find that you have higher hatch rates from shipped eggs. Since I've been doing this, my hatch rate has gone up considerably.

5. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:Wow! I've never heard this before. How much better were your hatch rates after doing this?
    I am intriqued!

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    At minimum 25% better hatching rate. I used to have miserable hatches with shipped eggs. I now have eggs come from Washington State to me in Florida and have 75% hatches regularly.

I let them rest overnight, then put them in the incubator but don't turn on the turner until day 3. I think it just gives that aircell a chance to really settle and perhaps even reattach. Don't know for sure but just know it has worked out well for me.

7. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:I'm gonna try it & see if it works for me.

8. humster

humster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    New Mexico
    me too!

9. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in trying this!! I just got my eggs in today, and was planning on putting them in tomorrow. If any of the responders to this thread see this, how did your hatches go when trying this approach?

Thanks!

10. cdo4

cdo4 New Egg

Feb 6, 2011
    I know this is old, but I'm curious about this too. I got the eggs in yesterday and was going to put them in tonight, but then I jostled the package around a bit getting it opened and transferring the eggs. Do they need to "re-settle" now? I wouldn't usually think of the jostling as too serious, but having just arrived via USPS I'm wondering if I might want to wait another 12 hours?

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by