How long do you keep eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goatkeepers, Aug 26, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    We keep ours on the counter top. How long is it "safe" to keep them, before they go bad?

Thanks!

2. Ours last about a week...because they are eaten! Other than that, I heard a couple weeks.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yup two to three weeks should be fine on the counter. That's what we are going to do...heard they are MUCH better before being refrigerated.

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We keep ours in a bowl on the counter, and usually, they're used within a week. I asked my Gramma about keeping eggs out, she said in the old days, they'd keep them at least three weeks. I think they bake better if they've not been refrigerated.

Em

5. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks! [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

An egg ages more in 1 day on the countertop than it does in 1 week in the fridge. I wouldnt eat it if it has been out on the counter for more than a week.

7. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I have a thing about rotton eggs...(a childhood thing)
    I date them with tiny numbers with a pencil, and keep them in the fridge. When I have too many, there is a lady up the street that will buy all I have. Do they bake better on the counter? I might have to try it. [​IMG]

8. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I keep mine in the fridge and when I know I'm going to bake, I take out the number I need about 2 hours before.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh, I read here somewhere that store eggs are 5 weeks old!!! ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by