How long do you use a brooder lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trunkman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    My chicks are now 6 1/2 weeks old now, I've moved them from the brooder to the coop, I've kept the brooder lamp on since I moved them, at what point can you get rid of the lamp?
    I live in SC and the night temps are rather cool still, mid 30's at night and 50's and 60's during the day. They are fully feathered but I don't want to take the heat away to early. What's your take? [​IMG]

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    No heat needed at 6 1/2 weeks if they are fully feathered. My chicks were outside at 6 weeks and temps have ranged from -8 to +30. No light. All are fine. [​IMG]

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Agreed. I keep my heat lamp on until about 4 weeks then shut it off.

Chicks were fine outside at 6-weeks of age at temp of -8 the other day. And yes, they were running around outside the coop.

4. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG... my chicks must feel SO spoiled!
    they are always in the house til they are about 8 weeks old, with a lamp to go under...
    LOL!!! and I live in N. CA!!!!!!!

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Hmmm....looks like I'm kicking my week olds out to their coop and putting the brooder lamp out with them. Far too noisy inside.

6. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    How early can you put them out with a lamp? Mine are almost three weeks old. I'm in AZ and the temps are in the 40s at night and high 60s - 70s during the day right now. Right now they are in a brooder in the bathtub. If I put their infra red light in the coop would they be alright? I'm not really in a hurry, just their coop is a lot bigger than my bathtub and brooder!
    Michele

7. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    How early can you put them out with a lamp? Mine are almost three weeks old. I'm in AZ and the temps are in the 40s at night and high 60s - 70s during the day right now. Right now they are in a brooder in the bathtub. If I put their infra red light in the coop would they be alright? I'm not really in a hurry, just their coop is a lot bigger than my bathtub and brooder!
    Michele

NurseShelly.............mine went out to the coop with a red lamp @ 3 weeks old - they were in the bathtub as well - it was last March and our temps were about the same altho not as warm during the day - they stayed 'cooped-up until they were about 5 weeks old and then had access to the run - they did great!​

8. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Hmmmmm, maybe they can go brood in the coop then!!! Probably not for a few days though because we are going to have a storm. We'll probably do that after the storm is over.
    Michele

9. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I had mine in the basement with a heat lamp till they were 7 weeks old..then they went out to the small coop with the heat lamp for almost 2 weeks..lol and now they have a torch on at night for a night light...they wouldn't go in the coop if there was no lights on...yes I am babying them but I am hoping that they light will go off next week...lol

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My 10 silkie chicks will be 4 weeks old sunday they will stay inside till they are 6-7 weeks old I turned their brooder light off tonight its time to teach them that night for sleeping and to get use to maintaining their own heat without the brooder lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by