How long do you use a brooder lamp

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
My chicks are now 6 1/2 weeks old now, I've moved them from the brooder to the coop, I've kept the brooder lamp on since I moved them, at what point can you get rid of the lamp?
I live in SC and the night temps are rather cool still, mid 30's at night and 50's and 60's during the day. They are fully feathered but I don't want to take the heat away to early. What's your take?
hmm.png

How early can you put them out with a lamp? Mine are almost three weeks old. I'm in AZ and the temps are in the 40s at night and high 60s - 70s during the day right now. Right now they are in a brooder in the bathtub. If I put their infra red light in the coop would they be alright? I'm not really in a hurry, just their coop is a lot bigger than my bathtub and brooder!
Michele

How early can you put them out with a lamp? Mine are almost three weeks old. I'm in AZ and the temps are in the 40s at night and high 60s - 70s during the day right now. Right now they are in a brooder in the bathtub. If I put their infra red light in the coop would they be alright? I'm not really in a hurry, just their coop is a lot bigger than my bathtub and brooder!
Michele

NurseShelly.............mine went out to the coop with a red lamp @ 3 weeks old - they were in the bathtub as well - it was last March and our temps were about the same altho not as warm during the day - they stayed 'cooped-up until they were about 5 weeks old and then had access to the run - they did great!​

Hmmmmm, maybe they can go brood in the coop then!!! Probably not for a few days though because we are going to have a storm. We'll probably do that after the storm is over.
Michele

I had mine in the basement with a heat lamp till they were 7 weeks old..then they went out to the small coop with the heat lamp for almost 2 weeks..lol and now they have a torch on at night for a night light...they wouldn't go in the coop if there was no lights on...yes I am babying them but I am hoping that they light will go off next week...lol

My 10 silkie chicks will be 4 weeks old sunday they will stay inside till they are 6-7 weeks old I turned their brooder light off tonight its time to teach them that night for sleeping and to get use to maintaining their own heat without the brooder lamp.

Back
Top Bottom