How long do your chickens live?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Aug 13, 2016.

1. 1 - 2 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2 - 3 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 - 4 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4 - 5 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5- 6 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6 - 7 years

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  7. 7 years or longer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I just read about the amazing rescue of Reva the Revenant this week:

https://polloplayer.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/taken-abawk-chickens-beat-the-odds/

and I started thinking about how long chickens live.They say that the average lifespan of a chicken is 5-7 years. Of the dozen or so hens I've had over the past seven years, only one has achieved that milestone. Some have been lost to predators but others have succumbed to a variety of known or unknown causes. Do I just have a bad track record? How long do your birds live? Do you think egg laying or size of the bird has something to do with it?

I just had my first hen make it to her fifth birthday and she is a bantam - do smaller birds tend to live longer? Do certain breeds live longer than others?

Wondering what others' experiences have been...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most of mine make it to 4-8. I haven't yet had any live past 9.

I haven't noticed any difference in my bantam verse large breeds, except my bantam roosters would live longer and my large breeds would die by 4, I realized my bantam were never fed layer but the large breed were. So now no one gets layer.

I would say roughly half die by 4, a quarter by 6, and another quarter go on longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by