How long do your chickens live?

What is the average life span of your chickens?

• 1 - 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - 3 years

• 3 - 4 years

• 4 - 5 years

• 5- 6 years

• 6 - 7 years

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 7 years or longer

• Total voters

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
I just read about the amazing rescue of Reva the Revenant this week:

https://polloplayer.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/taken-abawk-chickens-beat-the-odds/

and I started thinking about how long chickens live.They say that the average lifespan of a chicken is 5-7 years. Of the dozen or so hens I've had over the past seven years, only one has achieved that milestone. Some have been lost to predators but others have succumbed to a variety of known or unknown causes. Do I just have a bad track record? How long do your birds live? Do you think egg laying or size of the bird has something to do with it?

I just had my first hen make it to her fifth birthday and she is a bantam - do smaller birds tend to live longer? Do certain breeds live longer than others?

Wondering what others' experiences have been...

Most of mine make it to 4-8. I haven't yet had any live past 9.

I haven't noticed any difference in my bantam verse large breeds, except my bantam roosters would live longer and my large breeds would die by 4, I realized my bantam were never fed layer but the large breed were. So now no one gets layer.

I would say roughly half die by 4, a quarter by 6, and another quarter go on longer.

Back
Top Bottom