How long does chicken scratch / corn last? Can they eat all of this pictured?

OwO

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2014
UK
Picked up this a couple months ago from a farm shop. One of my chickens died of sour crop a few days ago, just trying to consider every possible cause. Not sure how long corn/scratch lasts in dry storage. Is there anything in the image below that they cannot eat?

Attachments

• PXL_20211020_163148683.jpg
    PXL_20211020_163148683.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Is that their only food? Or is it for treats?
Just for treats, I give them about a handful every evening, hence why it's been there a few months because it gets eaten slower. They eat layer pellets throughout the day.

I don't see anything they can't eat. I think total life for pellet/mash/crumble from packaging to useby date is about 4 months. Usually it arrives in the store around month 2 from what I've read

I don't see anything they can't eat. I think total life for pellet/mash/crumble from packaging to useby date is about 4 months. Usually it arrives in the store around month 2 from what I've read
Is that the same for scratch/corn?

Was the Scratch stored outside?
It looks like some pieces are moldy.
I would not feed to my chickens.

I store feed and scratch in a spare room in my house.
I've fed Scratch 8 months from mill date. The cracked Corn in it gets stale within a couple of months, but not harmful. GC

Was the Scratch stored outside?
It looks like some pieces are moldy.
I would not feed to my chickens.

I store feed and scratch in a spare room in my house.
I've fed Scratch 8 months from mill date. The cracked Corn in it gets stale within a couple of months, but not harmful. GC

It was not, it's stored inside in the dry. Which pieces look mouldy?

Back
Top Bottom