How long does it take a hen to hatch eggs?

If its been 24 days and egg has not hatched what should I do. Two eggs have already hatched but this one has not. 7-23-14 was day incubation started under broody hen.

I think I hear noises coming from one of my hens eggs, is this normal?? And does this mean she is close to hatching? ??

Yes, it's normal. When the chick starts the hatching process it pips into the air pocket at the fat end of the eggs, where it starts to breathe. Sometimes they will chirp or cheep while they are in there. It should complete the hatch within the next 24 hours if all goes well.

ThaNo you so much for responding!!! This is our first hatching process!! We are so hoping hat everything goes well for her, she is a silkie :)

Good luck, I hope all goes well! How many eggs is she brooding?

She has 5 under her marked with an x. At least 2 are fertile that we could tell when we candled them a week ago :) this being out first time with hatching I'm really nervouse, lol

Momma will take care of the chicks and the shells and everything. Just make sure there is some chick food available for them (and water of course, in a shallow dish) when she get up off the nest. Hens usually stay on the next for about 2 days after hatching started. Mom can eat the chick food, but the chicks must not eat layer food (too much calcium).

Back
Top Bottom