How long does it take blackjack 57 to dry?

It has rained a couple times but not much. So maybe that and lack of ventilation has some play. I went out and turned my fan back on this morning. So hopefully it will be dry by tomorrow. The chicks did ok last night. They were pretty freaked out but about 2 30 am they peeped themselves to sleep. I let them out early this morning. They may have been upset with me. I understand. LOL! At some point they have to be chickens and I have to let them do so. Our coop will be predator resistant when finished as well as our run. My hubby put concrete around the outside of the dog kennel, hardware cloth around the bottom, 3 ft up. Over the chain link. Then we put chain link over the top with chicken wire on top that and above where the hardware cloth didn't reach, and I will be adding a couple hot wires soon. It's pretty good for the means we did it with.

Sounds like the Black Jack and chicks are doing well. You have good predator proofing, now get that ventilation installed in the coop! Super important.
I know it is! I kinda been waiting for my husband to help because I need to use a few power tools I'm uncomfortable using, he works 6-10s its short time to do so much. Where is the most important places to ventilate, top and bottom? And a few holes in between covered with hardware cloth? The blackjack has dried even more, I think it will be ok too. Thanks. I just went and picked up my cackle order, 16 alive and healthy, perky, beautiful chicks...so far..it seems they are having trouble getting the hang of the heating plate, so I keep putting them back under it when they are chirping loud. I hope they figure it out by tomorrow because I can't be home all day!

I just finished the second coat of Black Jack in my coop this morning. I did first coat on Sunday and it was dry enough to walk on and only slightly tacky today. I did leave the coop door open on Sunday and all the windows as well, so airing it out does make a huge difference.

As far as ventilation ideally you want to make sure there's ventilation towards the top, to let moist air and heat escape in winter and summer respectively. I have a gable vent, ridge vent, vents under the eaves, in addition to windows, doors and floor vents.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with tacky, sticky blackjack still after a couple days. That stuff is kinda a mess to work with. I still have it all over my arms and you could say i almost bathed in gas. LOL. It will be worth it though after all the great things I've read. I guess it will dry all the way eventually..I was worried for a sec though.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with tacky, sticky blackjack still after a couple days. That stuff is kinda a mess to work with. I still have it all over my arms and you could say i almost bathed in gas. LOL. It will be worth it though after all the great things I've read. I guess it will dry all the way eventually..I was worried for a sec though.

It was harder to work with on first day, today actually went really smoothly. The difference:

Day 1: Mixing mixing mixing the formula for a good 10 minutes. Hubby wanted to help (bless his heart but he's ploddingly slow at this sort of thing, and not detail oriented) so we had 2 people trying to paint inside a confined area, with no drop cloths, the bucket OUTSIDE the coop (drip drip drip onto the grass), armed with one giant brush and one tiny foam one. We worked like that for over 2 hours. I ended up with Black Jack on my elbow, knee, face. Hubby had it on his hands and then he had to go crawl around the grass and remove globs of the stuff that had dripped.

Day 2: Very little mixing needed. I had the bucket inside the coop this time and drop cloths everywhere so not a single drip to clean up. I had 3 brushes on hand (another tiny foam one for corners and crevices, giant one for floor, medium for everything else). I did the door first, then all the tiny crevices in the coop, then did the wall from left to right (as I'm right handed, that kept me from sticking my elbow into a freshly painted wall since I did just that on day 1), then did the floor. Day 2 took only 1 1/2 hrs, not a single drip to clean up, not a single speck of Black Jack on me. :) I guess I got better at it!

It was harder to work with on first day, today actually went really smoothly. The difference:

Day 1: Mixing mixing mixing the formula for a good 10 minutes. Hubby wanted to help (bless his heart but he's ploddingly slow at this sort of thing, and not detail oriented) so we had 2 people trying to paint inside a confined area, with no drop cloths, the bucket OUTSIDE the coop (drip drip drip onto the grass), armed with one giant brush and one tiny foam one. We worked like that for over 2 hours. I ended up with Black Jack on my elbow, knee, face. Hubby had it on his hands and then he had to go crawl around the grass and remove globs of the stuff that had dripped.

Day 2: Very little mixing needed. I had the bucket inside the coop this time and drop cloths everywhere so not a single drip to clean up. I had 3 brushes on hand (another tiny foam one for corners and crevices, giant one for floor, medium for everything else). I did the door first, then all the tiny crevices in the coop, then did the wall from left to right (as I'm right handed, that kept me from sticking my elbow into a freshly painted wall since I did just that on day 1), then did the floor. Day 2 took only 1 1/2 hrs, not a single drip to clean up, not a single speck of Black Jack on me. :) I guess I got better at it!
I totally relate to your day one! Including crawling around on my hands and knees ripping clods of grass up with blackjack on it so no chick would eat it. LOL:D. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's coop and self got a nice coat of blackjack on their elbows:lau I also didn't use a drop cloth, what a mistake! I would like to put another coat on hopefully tomorrow so maybe my day 2 will be similar to yours. Now that it's drying better I can see how it can be a good thing to use in a coop. I also can't help but wonder if it will make the coop hotter in the summer even though it's inside the coop.

I also can't help but wonder if it will make the coop hotter in the summer even though it's inside the coop.

No, it will not make the coop hotter. Do your second coat tomorrow, so it can cure and you can get your chicks in there. Turn the can upside down tonight and it will be easier to stir.

Back
Top Bottom