How long does it take for them to hatch when they internally pip?

so the tally is at the moment: the prematurely opened one is showing all signs of being a very good thai fighting chicken: already raising hackels and kicking with its gigantic feet; also trying to flap up and out of the brooder so we have made a door from some metal fencing.
second, assisted chick has got one leg less strong then the other, and both eyes not opening properly. i suspect that a/ its mother was our blind chicken or b/ the egg was a bit too old therefore various deffects. it keeps rollingover on to its back, so here i dont do assistance. it will either get stronger or get weaker.
meanwhile, this morning notice two more pips! one is already half way unzipped. the other has been pipped with an air hole since this morning but it is calling and rocking so leaving it for the moment. dont see anymore anything but again, this could all be delayed hatcing due to delayed incubator set ups/

yes the assisted hatching site is great! that is where i got the ideas from, for peeling a bit of the second chick's shell, unfortunately he is also a bit 'mushy' too, so, i will let nature take its course (i dont have a way to keep special needs chicks, survival of the fittest here. on other hand, hubby being thai budhist, wont euthenize either. )

One was hatched with funny feet though.
25043_463960860319058_1720597436_n.jpg

His toes go inward.. Anyone know how to fix this? He doesn't walk very good like his siblings. His feet are so tiny I'm not sure if I can make a splint. This happened to me with baby ducks before but they straightened out as they got older and they didn't interfere with walking ability.

yeah, one of mine, the blind one, has one leg less flexible then the other. not sure he will survive or not... and still waiting for the unzip to continue with the third, and the fourth is slowly slowly starting to un zip...
good thing hubby works night shift so he wont be impatient to release the chicks.

So I made that little hobble brace from tape, is it normal for the chick to sort of stumble around in it? Is that because it's used to walking with it's legs spread out?
Lucky thing I put it on day 3 .. The directions said anything older would be harder to fix.
The problem with this chick is it hasn't learned to drink and eat by itself. His siblings have learned already and I don't need to dip their beaks anymore, but this funny leg one still needs me to dip his beak in water and encourage him to eat.

So I made that little hobble brace from tape, is it normal for the chick to sort of stumble around in it? Is that because it's used to walking with it's legs spread out?
Lucky thing I put it on day 3 .. The directions said anything older would be harder to fix.
The problem with this chick is it hasn't learned to drink and eat by itself. His siblings have learned already and I don't need to dip their beaks anymore, but this funny leg one still needs me to dip his beak in water and encourage him to eat.
if she is still having trouble with the braces on you can try making a long box, and the width should he the chicks width, so they cant teeter in it...
here is a paste.... link at bottom

and the link from Sumi also has other links at the bottom

Physical Therapy for Trouble Standing and Walking https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Another Ortho Success
Posted by butchieOK on 6-27-07

I had a late hatch that was flowndered. laying on its side, cant stand up or walk, and just lays there kicking. made a ortho box like i had done for my goosling in a previous post. withing two hours he was staying on his feet without falling over. 4 hours was walking with the assistance of the sides of the box. 24 hours toes were streight and was able to stand and walk on his own. posting two pics. this is before we put him in rehab.
With keets so small i had to add a divider to get the box narrow enough.
othobox1.jpg
http://www.bluequaker.com/Art-037.htm

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/faqleg.htm

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/problems/

I'm going to buy some vet-wrap soon.. I took the bandaid off her legs and her legs turned red and purple. She keeps cheeping, loudly, so I am sure she is in pain. I have never dealt with spraddle leg before so this is all new to me and I feel like crap for not being able to fix her legs correctly. I'm not going to put another bandaid on.. It wasn't working anyways. Her right leg was still out. I'm going to find a place that sells vet-wrap and get a hair band for her legs.

MOOCHIE Start another thread in the chick help section and ask for immediate help.... please paste the link here so we can follow you
Someone may have a better idea for your situation.

from another thread.......

you do a band to keep their legs under them. And you can also do cup therapy. Let me see f I can find quails in cups PC on the tablet.

Back
Top Bottom