How long does it take medicated feed to get out of a chickens system??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mommyofthree, Aug 15, 2010.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    First of all, one of my Isa Browns laid her first 3 eggs this weekend, YAY!! [​IMG]
    Now to my question...where I buy feed they don't sell grower feed so I have been giving them the medicated starter feed until last week, when they turned about 17 weeks old and I switched them to layer feed. So how long does it take for the medicated feed to get out of their systems before it's okay to eat the eggs? I have got them on organic feed now, I'm very picky about what my family and I eat and I don't want to eat the eggs until I know the medicated junk is through their systems. So, how long until I can eat the eggs? TIA!!
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would imagine that after two - two and half weeks it will have run out of all of the systems.
  3. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Thanks, I thought I had heard somewhere it was about 2 weeks.
  4. cknhobbiest

cknhobbiest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    I have heard with meat birds at least a month before butchering but that is just something I heard.
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What is the medication in the medicated feed? If it's amprolium, it's just a thiamine blocker and there is no withdrawl time. If it is something else, two weeks is usually good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by