How long does it take to get the chickens to go into a new coop?

gallinamama

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Macomb, Michigan
I am a new at this.. I just got the new coop up and put them in yesterday... they loved the run... they were happy little birds checking out every inch of the run
wee.gif
When it came time to put them in the coop for the night....
idunno.gif
they didn't want to go in... I had to catch them one by one and put them in the coop and close the door. Burton... kept sneaking out the corner.
lau.gif
They didn't drink too much if any in the coop so I put the water and the food in the run this morning and they started to drink.... would it be because I do not have lights in there yet?
sad.png

When I moved mine into an new coop I made them stay in the coop for a few days just put their water and feed into the coop. after a few days open the door and let them into the run. they should go back inside at night after that.

We're new to this, too, and we did what the above poster had done.....when we moved them outside, we put them in the coop for a few days. When we did start letting them out into the run, we'd put them back into the coop through the pop door. I can tell you it's a hoot and a half trying to get three chickens to STAY inside the coop when you put them in that way!
tongue.png
It only took a few days of that before they started putting themselves to bed each night. Now we go outside a little after dark to close the pop door and make sure they are settled in.

Quote:
Thank you for the idea. I have to tell you what I did last night and it worked.... I put some corn and grapes in their feed and for some reason one chicken came in then another.... I think I have a plan.. just goodies at night!
pop.gif

celebrate.gif

Quote:
Thank you also for the help... like I said to Mother of all, I gave my 9 chickens a bowl full of goodies.. and they came running in.. it was so fast my husband asked me if I took care of the chickens..
celebrate.gif
Do you have 3 chickens, what kind are they.. I have a variety, I don't know the proper names yet and soon I will post some pictures. Maybe someone can tell me what they are... I got mine free from my Grandson's preschool. They hatched 24 eggs and only 12 made it.. I don't know what happened.. but some one took 3 and I took the rest. They hatched on April 12th.. so I know their birthdate!!
clap.gif

Quote:
Good deal on that! I have heard the way to their hearts is through their stomachs!
big_smile.png

We actually have five, but only three of them have free reign of the run....a Light Brahma named Kiev, a Buff Orpington named Pot Pie, and an Easter Egger named Cordon Bleu. The other two are younger Welsummers...Tender and Noodle.
Post photos of your chicks. I have no doubt somone on here could id them for you!

Back
Top Bottom