How long does molting take?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlady26, Aug 31, 2009.

1. chickenlady26

chickenlady26 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    andlusia
    Hi i belive my hens are molting and would like to know how long does this last. And is there anything i need to do diffrent with the hens like feeding?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had some birds that took a month or more to get through their molts. It also depends on how heavy of a molt they go through. Some have gone through a light molt and were over it in a couple of weeks or less.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. chickenlady26

chickenlady26 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    andlusia
    will they lose all their feathers or just some?

4. Beed

Beed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Ft. Pierce, Florida
    My Cochin, Lo, was in molt about 2.5 weeks. My Polish, Dolly, started a little after her and she is still losing some feathers-it has been about 4 weeks now. They both stopped laying eggies during molt. Lo is back at it. Dolly seems a little tired. trying to get her to eat more protein. She is a good pellet eater though thank goodness. I saved the feathers. Lord knows what I will do w/ them-ha! I am not sure about losing all of their feathers. Maybe someone else will know.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have never had a bird loose all of their feathers but did loose a lot by the feather laying on the ground. and under the roost in the coop. Actually I could see the feather loss on the birds. Also it depends on how heavy of a molt they go through to how much feather loss there is.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It can take acouple months sometimes for some hens. I've had naked hens and then some that only lose a few feathers. Most will slow down or stop laying. Feed extra protein to them to help with feather growth. Cat food, tuna, scrambled or boiled eggs are just a few things that help with the extra protein here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by