How long does one usually wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by can you hear me now?, Jun 26, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I am sure this question has been asked before but i am going to ask it again. Here goes, how long after i put a rooster in my coop do i wait before i can think about incubating eggs. I have a friend who wants some chicks and i just got my rooster, he is a very beautiful phoenix, silver i think. I am pretty well educated on incubating but i can't seem to find a post on how long to wait to see if i am going to be able to check for fertilized eggs. If anyone can answer this it would be much appreciated.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    From what I can recall, it takes about three weeks for eggs to become fertile after mating has occurred. But, when a new roo is introduced, it will take a while before the hens accept him, so I would probably give it about two months. this is my recollection, but I cannot attest to the accuracy. Maybe someone els e will chime in.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the rooster is new to your flock please be sure you practice good biosecurity. I urge you to read this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30851

Once he is put in with the hens it could be as soon as a couple days. The first egg formed after he is mating the hens can be fertile.

You also have to remember your hens may not let a new rooster mate them right away. He will have to earn the privilege of mating them.

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    thank you very much for your replies and concerns and i know he knows the hen i plan to mate him with because i bought the hen from the same person. I also have a chick at the moment that he fathered from this very hen. I just didn't know and now i am better informed. I didn't know anything about the whole quarentine thing and now plan to use that method in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by