How Long Does Sulmet Take To Work??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WRVgirl, Oct 21, 2012.

1. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I've got chicks with Cocci.

I started Sulmet yesterday in EVERYONE'S drinking water, as well as switched everyone back to the medicated food.

There was one lethargic, not standing up chick and I separated her into her own tub, under a heat lamp, because she seemed cold.

I thought she was doing better, when I checked her before bed, she was standing and had eaten and drank a little water. Her poops were white [and not blood]

This morning, there's another chick acting similar [ruffled, dirty feathers, lethargic, not eating] I moved her to the tub with the other one.

How long does this Sulmet take to work?? When should I expect the treatment to start making an improvement?

~~~~~~Also, are full grown hens more immune to it? I'm treating my hen's water, but they seem fine.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    The speed it works depends on the severity but I'd say within a few days. Yes, fully grown birds already have resistance to cocci so they don't get it unless they are in a really nasty pen.

3. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Thanks Galanie! You've been just fantastic for giving me all of these answers!

I'm just so scared that I'm going to lose them :( I lost my first flock to URD....I bought my pullets from the same person who made our coop and about a week after they got here, they all had the runny noses, wheezes and sneezes. Then they started dropping like flies. It was a terrible experience and I thought that there was no way my new flock would get sick, as I change their bedding and rotate their coops regularly. They get clean water and good food. As well as weekly oxine sprays!

I hope they make it and nobody else gets sick.

I guess it's just a waiting game now then....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by