how long eggs hatch from 1st chick?

vonny

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
legana
I got some fertilised eggs to put under my broody bantam, one chick hatched early this morning some time its now 1.15pm here in Tassie and we havent had any more, I was just wondering how long it takes to hatch eggs normally and how long I should leave them for, she was in a top nesting box and didnt want to be moved, so we let her go and thought we would move her once the eggs hatched.
jumpy.gif

Thanks Sandie
There are 2 now but a little black one doesnt look very strong any suggestions, should I take it out and try to hand feed it?

Quote:
No - It can survive without food for about 3 days as it will be living off the egg sac. If you take it away you may not be able to put it back later. Some chicks just don;t thrive anyway no matter what you do. Don;t disturb her let her do what she needs with her chicks - she is a chicken your not!!!! She knows about raising baby chicks and being a hen your not one! I know it is hard. The Hen will usually stay on the nest for about 2/3 days - once she gets off she rarely goes back to sitting eggs so you can be pretty sure the onse she leaves behind are probably dud eggs with nothing in them. The little weak chick may rally its better with its mum. We had a chick that litterally didn;t move for 12 hours after it was hatched. She is now 19 weeks old and doing well!!! Your chick is exhausted from the hatch let it rest and get over that - by tomorrow it should be fine!!!!

Oesdog - good luck - don;t disturb your hen!!!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
No - It can survive without food for about 3 days as it will be living off the egg sac. If you take it away you may not be able to put it back later. Some chicks just don;t thrive anyway no matter what you do. Don;t disturb her let her do what she needs with her chicks - she is a chicken your not!!!! She knows about raising baby chicks and being a hen your not one! I know it is hard. The Hen will usually stay on the nest for about 2/3 days - once she gets off she rarely goes back to sitting eggs so you can be pretty sure the onse she leaves behind are probably dud eggs with nothing in them. The little weak chick may rally its better with its mum. We had a chick that litterally didn;t move for 12 hours after it was hatched. She is now 19 weeks old and doing well!!! Your chick is exhausted from the hatch let it rest and get over that - by tomorrow it should be fine!!!!

Hi Sandie looks good today, its a bit small but thats
prob because it was a mixed batch of bantams, she/he is eating food now and we have six in total, 5 havnt
hatched it s been 2 1/2 days since no.1 chick so might take them out or wait tell the morning...mmm. Thanks for advice.
big_smile.png

Quote:

Hi Sandie looks good today, its a bit small but thats
prob because it was a mixed batch of bantams, she/he is eating food now and we have six in total, 5 havnt
hatched it s been 2 1/2 days since no.1 chick so might take them out or wait tell the morning...mmm. Thanks for advice.
big_smile.png

wait a few more days !!!!!!!!!!!!your only day 23!!!- dont rush it BE PATIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hen will no when to give up!!!! If she is still on the eggs there may still be some to come!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oesdog

Back
Top Bottom