1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long eggs last on the counter?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tdc1999, Jan 16, 2014.

1. tdc1999

tdc1999 New Egg

Sep 1, 2013
    Oklahoma
    After I collect a days eggs, how long can I leave them out on the counter before I refrigerate them?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

If you are collecting them for eating, you can put them in the frig immediately. Some people feel that eggs can sit out without refriging them for a week, but I go the safe route with eggs and refrig them right away. If you are collecting them for incubation, you do not put them in the frig. They are set on the counter at temps around 50 to 60, give or take degrees, for a few days, turned occasionally, and then set in a prewarmed incubator. [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I refrigerate eggs for eating as soon as I collect them, to be safe.

4. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC.

I refrigerate mine the same day as well. Unless someone grabs one to fry up.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, I refrigerate asap because they last longer. Eggs that have ever been cold/ refrigerated should be stored that way. The EU seems to have picked 28 days for unwashed, unrefrigerated eggs. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:163:0006:0023:EN:PDF
    An old but rather entertaining test that Mother Earth News did on various ways to store eggs and how well they lasted. http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx

7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] An egg is laid with a protective coating, known as a "bloom", which allows air in but blocks bacteria from getting into the egg. As long as you don't wash the egg, it should be fine on the counter for a couple weeks. If you wash it, the bloom is washed off and it needs to be refrigerated. The egg can last for up to a month in the fridge. We always float the eggs in a glass of water before we eat them to make sure they are still good. If the egg sinks or stands up at the bottom, it's ok. If the egg floats (even the slightest bit) it's spoiled.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As you can see opinions on counter storage vary. I am of the better safe than sorry group. Welcome to BYC.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by